Making Spirits Bright With Care Boxes

John receiving his holiday care box

Due to the overwhelming response for Making Spirits Bright, we have run out of boxes! However, we are still in need of grocery gift cards to give to seniors in need this Christmas. These can be dropped off at our office. Alternatively, you can donate online to support low-income seniors.
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you!

For seniors in our community who live alone, are financially challenged and don’t have any relatives nearby, the holidays can be a difficult time. With the added hardship of social isolation, we feel that it is especially important for us to let seniors know they are cared for and not alone this Christmas.

NexusBC Community Resource Centre invites you to help us in making spirits bright for local, low-income seniors this holiday season.

How It Works:

  1. Stop by our office to pick up a Holiday Care Box: #102-3201 30th Street, Vernon
  2. Fill it with items that a senior would like, along with a grocery gift card (suggested amount: $20-$50). We’ve prepared a list of items that a senior might find helpful: Gift Ideas For Seniors (pdf)
  3. Enclose a card with a personal message
  4. Drop the box off at NexusBC before December 15th, 2023

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the drop off deadline? In order to get the gift to the recipient by December 25th, we ask that you drop off the gift box by December 15th.

Where is the drop off location? Gift boxes and donations can be dropped off at NexusBC Community Resource Centre, #102 – 3201 30th Street, Vernon BC V1T 9G3
(next door to Service BC)

What size is the Care Box? The box is 12″ long x 9″ wide and 4″ high.

Why should I include a grocery gift card? When we started this campaign in 2016, it became obvious to us that seniors with lower incomes struggle with the cost of groceries. They can usually only afford the basics, and rarely can they afford fresh fruit and vegetables. Even a gift card valued at $20 can buy a good amount of groceries from a budget-friendly grocery store.

What stores do you recommend the gift card come from? We recommend that gift cards come from the Wholesale Club, Freshco or Walmart. These are typically places that seniors can easily get to by bus or on foot. Please also enclose the activation receipt, if you have it.

Can I include a personal card? Yes, absolutely! In fact, this campaign is as much about creating special connections than the actual gift item. We encourage personal messages.

Can I remain anonymous? This is completely up to you. We encourage you to add a personal message with your gift box; however you can choose whether or not to sign the card.

Should I wrap the gifts inside the box? We ask that you don’t wrap the gifts or the box itself.

What if I’m concerned that my gift might not fit? Please include a gift receipt with your gift item if there are concerns that something may not fit.

I know of a local senior that should be on this list to receive a Christmas gift, how can they apply? If you know someone who should be on the list, please ask them to call NexusBC at 250.545.0585

How We Help Seniors

Many seniors live alone in our community. Too often they struggle to pay the rent and heat. They can afford only basic groceries. Fresh fruit and vegetables are too expensive. Medication costs can be high. Hearing aids, dentures and eyeglasses are often completely unaffordable.

These are the seniors that we at NexusBC work hard to support.

With the assistance of some amazing volunteers, we help seniors fill out applications for benefits and subsidies, and file taxes for free so they continue to receive their benefits. We distribute hampers, gifts and coupons to those seniors in our community who need it the most. We provide rides to doctor’s appointments and to pick up groceries. We provide subsidized house cleaning and last, but certainly not least, we have a drop-in centre for information on affordable housing, transportation, counselling programs, home support and so much more.


It is donors like YOU that enable our most treasured community members to be cared for and supported so they can live their very best lives. Please give to our Support For Local Seniors fund. 95% of the money raised will go directly to our seniors programs and/or client support. The remaining 5% will go to processing fees and other administrative requirements.

Three ways to donate: 

    1. Online here.
    2. Mail a cheque to NexusBC, 102-3201 30th Street, Vernon BC V1T 9G3. Please make cheques payable to NexusBC Community Resource Centre.
    3. Send an e-transfer to [email protected]. Please include your full name, middle initial, and full mailing address to receive a charitable receipt (for donations of $20 or more).


Tel: 250.545.0585
Email: [email protected]



102-3201 30th Street, Vernon BC V1T 9G3
Get Directions